Sawn from slow grown small diameter logs, Thermopine® boards display tight grain figuring with an abundance of live (structurally sound) knots, in an equal mix of round and splay knots. Some knots may display cracks or chipped off edges. Our Thermopine® decking is profiled for use with SIHGA SenoFix®. The SenoFix® provides a fixing-free face and therefore a clean, refined surface. The risk of unsightly overdriven screws and resulting water traps are eliminated.
- Fixing free face for refined aesthetic
- Durability equal to that of oak
- As the resinous substances have been removed during the heat treatment resin exudation on the board face is eliminated.
- Excellent price/performance ratio
- No chemicals are used in the heat treatment process – no poisonous or hazardous waste at the end of life cycle
- Due to the breakdown of organic matter, the timber no longer contains sufficient nutrients for wood destroying insect and fungi
- Russwood’s Thermopine® is PEFC®-certified, meaning that it is sourced from well-managed forests.
- Density* Kg/m3 at 18% moisture content unless otherwise stated
- 556 - MediumAt 6-8% moisture content
- Durability Class* 1 is 'Very Durable' > 5 = 'Not Durable'
- Treatment Required
- Environmental Certifications
- Modified Timber
- Lengths (m)
- Up to 5.1m
- Width (mm)
- Price From** per m² excluding VAT
Grades and Specification
- Graded to VEH Top grade as per grading rules of the Association of the European Planing Mill Industry
- Thermo-D, durability class BS EN 350-1 Class 2, above ground situations
- Unlimited number and size of sound knots, pith allowed. Chipped off parts of knots are permitted in a maximum of 15% of goods
- The RW214 and RW215 (GripDeck®) profiles specially designed for SenoFix® FT
- Lengths up to 5.1m
- Moisture content of approximately 6% – 8% (+/-2%) after modification (light in weight)
- FSC™ certified product sourced from sustainable forests
- Toxin and chemical free
For advice on completing the NBS Q55 for Thermopine® decking please get in touch with our project team.
A major advantage of thermal treatment is its effect on the durability of the timber. Following the treatment process pine becomes a Durability Class 2 timber according to BS EN 350-2. This is the same durability class as oak. During the thermal process every cell of the timber is modified, with the treatment penetrating throughout the entire timber board.
The method with which the decking is fixed and detailed can have a major effect on its lifespan. Our fixing systems designed by Austrian Timber Engineers SIHGA, will make decking look and perform better for longer.
When combined with SenoFix®, the Thermopine® decking offers outstanding levels of dimensional stability. Compared to unmodified pine it can be up to 40% more stable. This means it stays flat and is significantly less affected by cupping or crowning when subjected to extremes of wetting and drying.
The heat treatment reduces the density by approximately 10% to 450kg/m³, making it relatively light in weight, similar to Western Red Cedar. It is recommended that 26mm thickness Thermopine® decking is fixed at 400mm centres.
3.3-5.1m, supplied in running meters
Brushing Thermopine® creates a textured surface which enhances the unique grain and inherent natural figuring within each board. Wire brushes are used to pull out some of the softer spring wood, in-turn exposing the harder and typically darker coloured summer wood. The result is an aesthetically pleasing and characterful board that speaks of it’s natural origins.
GripDeck® is a highly effective slip-resistant solution which can be applied in-house to our Thermopine® decking. The specially bonded aggregate strips provides a long-lasting solution to slippery decking, being rated as “extremely low potential for slip” (BS7976:2002 Part-1 3 using the Stanley Pendulum Test). GripDeck® is equally suitable for domestic decking, as well as wear demanding commercial environments, providing excellent slip resistance in both wet and dry conditions.
SIHGA’s SenoFix® FT secret fixing solution for Thermopine® is a tough, UV resistant and rust proof fixing, which permits movement (frequently the movement can be from the underbuilding joist and framework) and ensures the free flow of air around the boards. This avoids saturation of the timber and enables rapid drying of wetted decking, thus reducing the risk of slipping. The SenoFix® FT makes decking 50% faster to install than conventional face fixing.
The movement accommodated by the SenoFix clip eliminates the risk of squeaks developing. Squeaky decking is usually a result of face fixing the decking with screws directly to joists with no allowance being made for movement.
Benefits of using SenoFix® System:
- Made from SIHGAMID® – an extremely durable reinforced fibre-glass compound, which is highly resistant to UV and frost damage
- Creates a ventilation gap of 8mm between the deck board and the substructure joist element
- Sets an automatic space of 7mm between deck boards when fitted.