At a Glance
Through the use of a non-toxic acetylation process, sustainable timber (Radiata Pine) is modified to create Accoya® wood; a uniformly attractive, consistently durable and dimensionally stable product which is fully sustainable and will last a lifetime.
Accoya® wood is ideal for factory coating with an opaque or translucent coating, as its outstanding dimensional stability properties ensure a clean, sound surface; the perfect coating substrate. Virtually no shelling, cracking, checking or fissuring will occur, and the paint can be expected to last at least twice as long as on unmodified woods.
In its natural form, Accoya® wood is a cream/light straw colour which when weathered naturally will take on a silvery-grey appearance. As with all timbers, it is important to consider how the form and shape of a building will affect the weathering process – parts of the building not exposed to the elements will take longer to weather resulting in an uneven appearance at the early stages of the weathering process.
- Outstanding stability
- Exceptional durability
- Perfect substrate for factory coating
- Flawless finish which requires minimal maintenance
- Consistent quality and performance
- Sustainably certified, non-toxic and 100% recyclable
- Modified Radiata Pine
- New Zealand/Chile
- Density* Kg/m3 at 18% moisture content unless otherwise stated
- 592 (at 8%) - Medium
- Durability Class* 1 is 'Very Durable' > 5 = 'Not Durable'
- Very Few
- Suitability for Factory Coating
- Environmental Certifications
- FSC®, PEFC
- Modified Timber
- Price From** per m² excluding VAT
Grades and specification
Accoya® wood is available in four grades (A1, A2, A3 and B). Russwood only supply the cleanest grade – A1 – to the minimum specification outlined below.
- Grade A1 Accoya® wood which has four sides primarily clear and an allowance per length of:
- Combined total of up to three 8mm pin knots and/or bark or resin pockets (for boards less than 50mm in thickness)
- Combined total of up to six 15mm knots and/or 10mm wide/100mm long bark or resin pockets (for boards over 50mm in thickness)
- Three resin streaks up to 8mm wide/100mm long
- Three surface checks, up to 1mm wide, 250mm long or equivalent
- Durability Class 1 (BS EN 350-2 classification)
- Modified timber which is FSC® certified, non-toxic and fully recyclable
- Moisture content of less than 8% ensures unrivalled dimensional stability
For advice on completing the NBS H21 for Accoya® wood please get in touch with our project team.
Accoya® wood boasts outstanding and consistent durability properties, being categorised as Class 1 (by BS EN 350-2) – the highest possible rating for timber. After each batch of timber has been modified, its properties are analysed, ensuring that the durability at least matches, and in many cases exceeds, the performance of the world’s most naturally durable species.
Accoya® wood is indigestible to a wide range of insects, including termites, and forms an effective barrier to any attack. The wood is virtually rot-proof, which helps to ensure that, when properly maintained, it can be expected to have a lifespan of over 100 years when subject to general outdoor exposure.
In comparison to most of Russwood’s other timbers, Accoya® wood is very lightweight; approximately 592kg/m3 at a moisture content of 8%. As a result of this low density, the product is easy to work with and install.
A key feature of Accoya® wood, and one of the primary reasons for its popularity as a cladding material, is its outstanding dimensional stability. The benefits of this stability are:
- Opaque coatings can last at least twice as long which reduces maintenance frequency and, consequently, maintenance costs
- Designs which require clean, crisp lines will look fantastic, as the modified wood will experience minimal swelling and shrinkage
- It enables greater flexibility in the way in which the product is used
These enviable stability levels are a result of the modification process, which changes the structure of the timber and results in it having an extremely low moisture content of 8%. Extra care should be taken when storing this product, and the moisture content should be measured to the core of the boards to ensure that the reading is accurate.
We supply Accoya® wood in lengths up to 4.8m, in widths of 100 to 200mm and in sawn thicknesses of 25, 38 and 50mm. Please note that cladding is supplied as a linear meterage based on random stock lengths at time of picking order. Other sizes may be available on request.
We can produce Accoya® in three different surface finishes to suit your specific project requirements and vision;
- Wire Brushing – To create this effect, wire brushes are used to pull out the softer spring wood, exposing the harder summer wood, thus accentuating the grain and creating a beautifully textured surface.
- Planed – Boards are run through our planing mill to create a smooth, dressed finish.
By combining the impressive benefits of factory coating with the incredible stability and durability of Accoya® wood, remarkable results can be achieved, due to the following features:
Outstanding dimensional stability
Timber swelling and shrinkage is virtually eliminated in Accoya® wood, meaning that the factory coating is not subjected to such severe stretch and shrink cycles. This enables the coating to last for up to three times longer, thereby substantially reducing maintenance frequency and associated costs.
Accoya® wood is one of the few timbers listed as durability Class 1, meaning that it is virtually rot proof. The advantages of this are that the overall lifetime value of the product is extremely high and it provides a perfect coating substrate. For further durability information, including test results, go to the download section of the Accoya® website.
Accoya® wood can be factory coated, at Russwood’s in-house state of the art factory coating facility, with your choice of opaque coating from our Teknos range. For information about the benefits of factory coating, as opposed to on-site paint application, please go to our factory coating page.
How timber is fixed is fundamental to it’s long term performance in terms of both appearance and durability. We offer a range of fixings and systems to make cladding look better and last longer. These systems can be written into the NBS H21 specification. For more information on our recommended fixings, click here.